10.26.2013

Augustus' Birth Story

I started having regular, but far apart contractions on Tuesday, August 6th around 7pm. They were about 8 minutes apart, not too bad but I definitely knew what they were, mostly due to their regularity. 

We went to bed around 11pm. I woke up at 3:00am (now August 7th). At that point I could no longer sleep through them. I couldn't believe it was actually happening! I thought for sure I would go beyond my due date of August 14th! I got up, took a shower, went for a walk. Around 5:30am I told Vinny to shower, it was going to happen today! He immediately started nesting! He hung up some curtains, did the dishes and took a shower. We walked around the block about 100 times as the contractions slowly increased in intensity and regularity. It was so early, we watched the sunrise and talked about how much our life was about to change. Around 9am the contractions were 4 minutes apart so we went to the hospital (cue: ordeal). The triage nurse checked me and I was 100% effaced and 3 cm dilated. So she sent us to walk for an hour to see if I would progress. This is how they tell if it is active labor or not. So far, the contractions were manageable, I could breath through them but they did stop me in my tracks during that hour walk. The contractions were extremely regular during that hour, about 3-4 minutes a part. 

We returned to the triage room and she checked me again, I was only 3.5 cm dialated. She gave us the choice of going home or walking for another hour to see if I would continue to progress. I *knew* I was in labor so we opted to do another hour of walking. The contractions were more painful and very regular during our second hour of hospital laps. We returned to the triage room again and I was no further dialated. Sigh. She hooked me up to the monitor to check contractions, etc to call my doctor. My body did not like this apparently because the contractions then became very irregular. I'm also very introverted and was handling the contractions well from an outside perspective, this did not help my cause.

With the data she had collected she called my doctor and he recommended that we go home. At this point I was really concerned. If what I had been experiencing wasn't active labor, oh boy, I was in for a long, painful day. (turns out it was active labor....of course!)

So we went home and holyshitballs the contractions quickly became extremely intense. I had to be vocal through each one and hold onto Vinny. At one point I just wanted to have the contractions on the toilet – at that moment Vinny and I both knew we had to go back to the hospital. You know that’s where people always give birth at home on TV, definitely something instinctual about it! We were at home for about an hour and a half.

It was a miserable car ride back to the hospital but we made it. Vinny had to wheel me into the hospital while I held onto the boppy and ‘vocalized’ with my face stuffed in it! I'm sure I terrified everyone in the lobby and waiting room! I was immediately taken back to the triage room where they identified I was dilated to 8cm. If I wasn't having intense contractions every minute I definitely would've gave them a big, "I knew it/told you so!" I very quickly became fully dilated but I had to hold off on pushing so the Dr could arrive. They called him at 3:07pm and said I was back and 8cm, they called him at 3:09pm and said I was at 9cm and they called him at 3:11pm and said they were preparing to deliver without him. He arrived, broke my water and we started pushing. I pushed for about an hour and a half. Pushing was not my strength. I handled the contractions very well but the pushing caught me off guard. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it. But I did! Definitely the worst part for me. 

Augustus Vincent was born at 4:39pm on August 7th. 8lbs, 4oz, 23inches.

It was so unreal to see him finally!!! Poor kid, his face was really beat up from his journey down the birth canal! Vinny was fabulous, so emotional. My mom was great too, although she barely made it to the hospital! My sister came when I was pushing and I couldn't handle anymore stimuli so I told them she couldn't come in. I feel bad for that but in the moment I was just trying to focus and get this part over with. So she missed it unfortunately. :(

Overall I really tuned inward, very quiet, but positive. I think that is why they sent me home - I was too quiet. But when those transition contractions started? Holyshit, I was straight up ‘hippie-Ina-May-off-the-farm’ vocalizing from those contractions until the end. One of the labor nurses kept telling me I had a 'beautiful birthing song' - lol! Low, instinctual, animalistic moaning and humming. I was so self-conscious but I knew I had no other choice. It was the only thing I did that I spent so many months preparing for! All my essential oils, music, birth ball, etc - didn't get touched! I lost it a couple times during pushing but I was able to bring myself back somehow when I started to lose it. Like I wanted to just scream as loud as possible and cry and give up - and I would a little and then instantly turn that low moan on and make so much more progress.

Vinny did so good - he was blown away. He was crying most of the day watching me, it was sweet. He's been such a great husband while I was pregnant and he continues to be the same. I'm so lucky. He's so calm and he did exactly what I needed the entire day. I can't imagine witnessing him go through that, I'd have lost my shit for sure. My mom too, I was worried she would make me wussy but she didn't - it was perfect to have her there (at just the end).

20130807_182530

20130807_182817

birth5

IMG_3712

5 days old

2 Comment on this post:

Katie October 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM  

Congrats! Beautiful baby, and I really like the name :)

Alison November 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM  

Such a sweet baby; congratulations. Hope these past few months have been going well. For the record, I think anytime someone tells a mother not to push, that person should be met with an "F*** you!" Good job!

Menu Planning

I no longer share my weekly menu because it is rather boring since changing our eating habits. However, you can see the historical list in these places!

VAMH in the Kitchen
Half of VAMH Menu Planning

Looking for me?

Drop me an email!
Blog header designed by me :) Photography in header and sidebar by Melissa Oholendt

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP