6.03.2013

How We Sold Our House in One Day!

First things first - this is our opinion and our experience! Each house, market, realtor and moment in time could make this experience differ. Take this advice with a grain of salt! I hope it can help!

1. A great realty company. As I mentioned, we selected Edina Realty (Sherri Morse specifically) because we knew they were the most popular locally which meant our house was broadcast to the widest audience possible upon listing. With Edina Realty we had statistics on how many times our house came up in a web search, how many existing searches matched our house, etc. It also meant we were dealing with a company with lots of experience. Their experience made the entire process go ultra-smooth. The commission percentage might have higher than other options (FOSB, etc) but the support, exposure and experience was well worth the slightly higher commission price.

3. Professional house cleaning. This could definitely be optional but it was a must for us. You see, I suck at cleaning house. And we have an extremely hairy dog. A one-time professional deep clean insured that every nook and cranny was clean, not just the areas of the house that we used most often. It was a great way to start the 'showing' process and relieved a lot of my stress. Also, if you think about it, these people are greatly skilled at staging, they want you to be WOW'd when you walk in the door after they have cleaned. I learned a lot of tricks that made the house look just a little bit better - the way they left the curtains opened, the way they folded our throw blankets, the placement of our couch pillows, etc. We used (and I would recommend) Details Residential Services.

4. Awesome pictures. This is credited to our realtor, Sherri. She uses a local company that came out with a fancy-schmancy camera to take pictures of the house. This is another reason that it is worth selecting a great realty company. We might've paid more in commission but she paid more out of her pocket to create the best listing possible. If you're anything like me, a picture is worth a thousand words and good pictures make a HUGE difference to perusing buyers. I'll list the photos below to give you an idea!

5. First impressions. This is all over every website in the world but it really makes a difference. We were listing our house during the yuckiest month of all - how the heck could I improve our curb appeal when we were still surrounded by FEET of snow? I couldn't - but what I could do was make sure that the first impression when walking in the door was a good one. Our biggest task to do this was replace our fridge. The fridge is the first thing you see when you walk in the door of our house and we had an almond colored, top/bottom, wood handled, basic-as-it-gets fridge from the 1970's. The rest of the kitchen appliances could have used an upgrade as well but they were built-in and not simple to replace without redoing the entire kitchen. They were also not visible from the front door. The old fridge was so ugly I don't even have a picture of it but this is the view from the front door with the new fridge. Well worth the $1000 investment for a new fridge.
photo-017

6. Go big, or go home. This one is definitely not something I can genuinely recommend in order to sell a house but I know it made a significant difference in selling our home. A few years ago we were able to replace the siding and roof on our home. This was obviously a huge cost and not one I would take on just to sell a house - however, if you're thinking of selling in the next few years and this needs to be done? Do it. From personal experience, I know it's nerve-wracking to buy a house built in 1965 and if a major feature of the house had already been replaced, as a buyer, I would feel so much more comfortable. This also really helped with curb appeal/first impressions, even in the tail of winter!

7. The early bird catches the worm. Get on the market in early, early Spring before the market is saturated with inventory. Also, this time of year, in Minneapolis anyways, prevented us from having to deal with a lot of landscaping during listing and showings.

Onto the pictures that we used for our listing!
photo-001

photo-034

photo-004

photo-014

photo-017

photo-006

photo-009

photo-007

photo-018

photo-011

photo-013

photo-022 photo-027

photo-020

photo-025

photo-026

photo-023
photo-030
photo-029

10 Comment on this post:

Katie June 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM  

great tips - and great photos! the house looks really nice! our neighbors (who have basically the same house as ours) are in the process of selling. obvs we want them to get top dollar, but even more so because it's a direct comparable to our house. and the pictures that the realtor took are horrible... she's an interior designer! the house is lovely! but the photos make it look very blah and washed out. and they've had very little interest in the listing.

Kathleen Salazar June 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM  

Great list! Considering this is your first time doing it, it's a job well done. And those are amazing pictures, so no wonder your house sold quickly. But you also forgot to add that it's better to hire a real estate lawyer whenever you're going to have any transactions in real estate. They will assist you with all the required and necessary legal procedure and know-how, and they can also help you minimize potential problems so you don't waste your time and money. More importantly, they can help you get the best value for your property.

Home Lawyer

hong kong property June 6, 2013 at 2:41 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Calvin June 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM  

First impressions last! That's why, staging your home is very important to the success of selling your house. It doesn't require a top to bottom renovation, just knowing that everything -- from the roof, wall, plumbing system, etc, are all in good condition, is more than enough to please potential buyers. Invest in your property well.

-City Block Team

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards June 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM  

This is such an awesome post! And some tips I haven't seen before. I seem to see a trend online of people selling FSBO, but my word, it's so much work. And for those of us with no experience (me), having a realtor is so worth the money. Even beyond actually selling the house, but the paperwork and dealing is something I'm glad to not deal with.

Anyhoo - so happy it sold so quickly. And I love that you sold it in winter. Gives me hope that I don't have to wait to spring to list our home. Great point about the landscaping, too.

Those photos are divine. I guess I hadn't seen a lot of your home because many of the photos are new to me.

Jen July 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM  

I'm just curious. Did your house appraise higher than your asking price? I was wondering because your house had 5 showings and sold on the first day. We are getting ready to sell our home soon and prices have been rising so fast. It's a crazy market.

Happy for you that you sold so quickly and you're where you want to be.

Desoza jain July 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM  

I want the buy home so please give me the details & also prices criteria. I have so many interests. Well! If you want to get the knowledge on find a local contractor then you can check out

Joi July 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM  

Holy cow, those photos!!! I love them. I thought our home would've sold quicker with better photos. This almost solidifies it.

Scott Sauer December 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM  

Getting a professional realtor can really help quicken the pace of selling a house, but doing it in the span of 24 hours? Amazing! But it certainly helped that you had a great home to begin with. I hope the new owners enjoy the effort you’ve made in making it look good over the years.

Scott

Brandi September 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM  

You had a gorgeous home. I'm not surprised it sold so quickly. I bet the new owners really appreciate to how well you took care of it. Thank you so much for sharing your tips. My husband and I have been thinking a lot about putting ours on the market.

Menu Planning

I no longer share my weekly menu because it is rather boring since changing our eating habits. However, you can see the historical list in these places!

VAMH in the Kitchen
Half of VAMH Menu Planning

Looking for me?

Drop me an email!
Blog header designed by me :) Photography in header and sidebar by Melissa Oholendt

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP